Sunday, December 2, 2007

I think I might be indecisive

Dear Doctor BS,

My friends say I'm indecisive. One friend in particular says it really annoys him. I don't feel like I'm indecisive, I just want to be sure I have all the information so I can make the best choice. I like to weigh the pros and cons before I make a decision. My friend says he doesn't want to go to lunch with me any more because it takes me too long to pick a restaurant, and then our lunch break is over. I tell him that he should pick then, but he doesn't like that answer either. What can I do to let my friends know that I'm not being indecisive, I just don't want to make a bad choice?

CV

Dear CV,

Your friends are right. You are indecisive. It's because you're afraid of not being perfect. Time to let go of that one, honey, because nobody is perfect except Doctor BS.

Here's a method for better decision making:

1. Is it a big choice or a little choice? Big choices include who to marry, whether to have children, and whether to get behind the wheel after a night of tequila shooters. Big choices have a big effect on the rest of your life. Feel free to weigh the pros and cons.

2. If it's a little choice, for example where to go for lunch, pick two of the more appealing options and flip a coin. It's that simple. Keep the little choices fast and painless by always carrying a good flipping coin. If you're superstitious, get a nice fancy flipping coin and tell yourself it's lucky. Trust me, for the little choices in life, it's not going to steer you wrong.

Doctor BS

No comments: